Current:Home > NewsJudge declines to dismiss lawsuits filed against rapper Travis Scott over deadly Astroworld concert -Capitatum
Judge declines to dismiss lawsuits filed against rapper Travis Scott over deadly Astroworld concert
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 12:00:25
HOUSTON (AP) — A judge has declined to dismiss hundreds of lawsuits filed against rap star Travis Scott over his role in the deadly 2021 Astroworld festival in which 10 people were killed in a crowd surge.
State District Judge Kristen Hawkins issued a one-page order denying Scott’s request that he and his touring and production company, XX Global, should be dropped from the case. The order was signed on Tuesday but made public on Wednesday.
Scott’s attorneys had argued during an April 15 hearing that he was not responsible for safety planning and watching for possible dangers at the concert on Nov. 5, 2021.
They argued Scott’s duties and responsibilities related to the festival only dealt with creative aspects, including performing and marketing.
However, Noah Wexler, an attorney for the family of Madison Dubiski, 23, one of the 10 people killed, said Scott, whose real name is Jacques Bermon Webster II, had a “conscious disregard for safety” at the sold-out festival. Wexler argued Scott encouraged people who didn’t have tickets to break in and ignored orders from festival organizers to stop the concert when told to do so as people in the crowd were hurt or dying.
Earlier this month, Hawkins dismissed lawsuits against Drake and several other individuals and companies involved in the show.
The lawsuit filed by Dubiski’s family is set to be the first one to go to trial on May 6.
The families of the 10 people who died, plus hundreds who were injured, sued Scott and Live Nation — the festival’s promoter — as well as dozens of other individuals and entities.
After an investigation by Houston police, no charges were filed against Scott, and a grand jury declined to indict him and five other people on any criminal counts related to the deadly concert.
Those killed, who ranged in age from 9 to 27, died from compression asphyxia, which an expert likened to being crushed by a car.
Some of the lawsuits filed by the families of the dead and the hundreds who were injured have been settled, including those filed by the families of four of the dead.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (6519)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Chrissy Teigen Says Children Luna and Miles Are Thriving as Big Siblings to Baby Esti
- Michigan County Embraces Giant Wind Farms, Bucking a Trend
- More than half of employees are disengaged, or quiet quitting their jobs
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- CBS News poll analysis: GOP primary voters still see Trump as best shot against Biden
- Trump’s EPA Pick: A Climate Denialist With Disdain for the Agency He’ll Helm
- Biden gets a root canal without general anesthesia
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- China Wins Approval for Giant Dam Project in World Heritage Site
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Climate Change Puts U.S. Economy and Lives at Risk, and Costs Are Rising, Federal Agencies Warn
- Oversight Committee subpoenas former Hunter Biden business partner
- A Colorado library will reopen after traces of meth were found in the building
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Inside Blake Lively's Family World With Ryan Reynolds, 4 Kids and Countless Wisecracks
- The FDA no longer requires all drugs to be tested on animals before human trials
- Miami police prepare for protesters outside courthouse where Trump is being arraigned
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Ambitions Still Far Off, Even With New Polysilicon Plant
In Mount Everest Region, World’s Highest Glaciers Are Melting
What's the #1 thing to change to be happier? A top happiness researcher weighs in
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Can Trump Revive Keystone XL? Nebraskans Vow to Fight Pipeline Anew
In county jails, guards use pepper spray, stun guns to subdue people in mental crisis
Time is fleeting. Here's how to stay on track with New Year's goals